Alejandro Suarez Sanchez-Ocana. TIME-sector employer since 1998, CEO of Group Publispain and the network of blogs Entertainment Networks SL, President of Inversora Foley, director and Founding Partner of Yes.fm, adviser and investor in several companies for innovation, new technologies and the Internet.
At this time back to Madrid on the AVE and I take the time to the appalling food that today serve for a change; D to write a brief summary of the Forum i Start Ups of First Tuesday which was held last night in which I was a member of jury.
This was an experienced pilot, hosted by First Tuesday from Carlos Blanco and Amaia Helguera, and as such should be understood, as an experiment to see if there is space for initiatives of this type using the platform of First Tuesday in Madrid and Barcelona
We heard a 7 entrepreneurs "sell" their draft informally over 6 minutes and respond to questions from Business Angels, Family Offices and risk capital.
Finally, the jury voted with 1.2 and 3 points its 3 projects favorite and the result was:
I would like to comment aloud, some thoughts around my head on the experiment and on the entrepreneurs and what they showed. They are personal opinions, and such sobnre entrepreneurs, the jury is not unanimous, each person is a world.
- I hope not break any off the record if I recognize that the 3 winners and was only voted in last position of my votes with 1 point to Sponsor an Artist, which I think is an original idea, viable, that is underway and that if adapts his model to the path of digital distribution of music (eye!, which were not very covered) can succeed.
- My votes were for Pomelo.tv that almost nobody else did not vote but I understand. This is a model of shared broadcast in streaming based on p2p retransmitted allowing all kinds of online events. They want 5 million Euros (which is science fiction -1 and 2 tb are science-fiction right now and said those numbers aloud in public rub provocation), invested in a technological model today without agreement and with no customers. Lo said, CONAE, I understand that no one will vote. And because if I did?, For a very simple reason, to this technology, because if they enter into another way of implementing it and are removed from the head pretending to be a distribution channel for major chains and international film producers and base it on advertising, I applied and profitable. I can get to like the idea, with another approach more realistic and less "global conquest of the world"
- The other project that was voted Worth Idea, in this case at some point surealismo, because I thought it much more enterprising than to the idea and the project. I believe that more should outline the business model and put the focus on form REAL in the monetization, but to me she thought, I liked it and as I said before, for me to know the entrepreneur and creérmelo is critical, far more than the IDEA. In that line I saw Lluis Faus and Carlos Blanco, agree on the same impression. In addition she insisted she did not want to count too much in public for fear it will replicate the idea. Great paradox indeed when it comes to a platform that seeks to disseminate ideas, and although cost meterselo in the head, the key is the computer and implementation, the ideas are free and replicable. If you can not compete against your own idea into other hands, your project does not work.
- I collided several things. Except Bubok, which in my opinion it was "out of competition", the remaining projects were in a very early stage, and that's perfect, but everybody talked about its international expansion? . There are good presentations that are lost in these grand words. Do not these barely under way, you are not on the market, your model has not yet successfully validated, those asking for money and you start talking to expand internationally and conquer the universe.? It was something common in all projects. A I do not like, you credibility. AH! And translating a website into English or French is not expand internationally.
In fact, I remember in 10 years more than 20 or 30 Spanish companies in the Internet that have expanded outside of Spain in a real and successful. If your day 0 me talk about conquering the world, believe me, grit.
- All the entrepreneurs talked about money. "Gasoline" is certainly necessary, but I chirría otherwise, nobody is talking about or if you want to set money from a Business Angel and Venture Capital, and are things that have nothing to do. For me, as an entrepreneur, very important to define what kind of money you want, and talk of synergies. Present one of the main Business Angels in the sector, expecting a nod to "something more than money." There are people who primarily provides money, and other people who can deliver the same, more or less but with other added values. Nobody talked about these added values only of money, and from my experience I can assure that these added values, synergies with companies , Have certain level of networking with partners is much more important than the check you receive, and can open many doors to your project. That's not disrespectful to the Risk Capital, is simply that I think are different stages and levels, to assemble and develop your business will need more help than just money.
- Times: I think to sell your company, project or idea in 6 minutes is very little. , Vicente Arias , etc… es una oportunidad única, quizás jamás te reciban personalmente, debes “morir matando” y vender hasta el último suspiro tu proyecto. No puedes usar 3 minutos y se acabó. Then you finish in 3 or 4 I find it incredible because you have people in front of the stature of Louis Martin Cabiedes, Alejandro Santana, Axel Serena, Lluis Faus, Eneko Knörr, Vicente Arias, etc ... is a unique opportunity, you might never receive personally, must "die to kill" and sell until the last breath your project. You can not use 3 minutes and it's over. If you are not yourself passionate about selling your idea in public, do not you notes to do it.
On the format:
At dinner later, as Carlos says today, discussed the ideal format, if this format is used to evaluate a project.
I think that is something for which I was most useful, so you can see, without the Fillers of a power point even enterprising live, fend off questions and explain their project with his chest out. For me, serves to define whether there is "wood enterprising" and that I have always advocated that is basic before sitting down to do a project, which if not believe in the team and the entrepreneur does not make sense.
Of course you will not get out of FT investment, which is to leave impressions and contacts and I think we can safely say that after several meetings in which they can get out of business opportunity. I thought it was a different forum and useful, more informal and less encorsetado, compatible with today, but perhaps most liked to Business Angels that the representatives of Venture Capital.
Today when I travel to eat in Barcelona to participate in the First Ups Start forum organized by First Tuesday. I have the pleasure of being one of the jurors who will assess a 7 startups.
The jury is composed of people very prominent Internet, Business Angels, and entrepreneurs:
The 7 finalists will present their projects are:
Some are already old acquaintances as Bubok, Angel Maria and others represented as a Sponsor Artist, new business models that come from USA and France. We will see that happen tonight!
Tags: Antonio Ortiz, Antonio Santana, Sponsor an artist, axel serene, bubok, Carles Ferrer, Carlos Blanco, Didac Lee, Emilio Marquez, Eneko Knorr, Gonzalo Carod, Jose Antonio del Moral, Lluis Faus, Louis Font, luis martin cabiedes, Monazen, Noemi Gomez, Pomelo TV, Ricard Soderberg, Roberto Saint-Malo, Rodolfo Carpintier, Roni Mascaró, Sergi Mora, Black Voice, Vicente Arias, Webtool, Worthidea
Via Carlos Blanco I find the conclusion of the First Forum of Startups organized by First Tuesday, to coincide with the Global Entrepreneurship Week (Semana global entrepreneurs).
It is holding a special event in Barcelona on Tuesday November 18 2008 at 19:00 am in the CDLC (Pso. Maritimo 32). In the event 6 entrepreneurs will present their projects to investors. I will stand by there and I will be on the jury who evaluate the 6 presentations.
I submitted to the Forum Startups, you must meet the following requirements:
- Company established or about to be created (in Spain)
- Be a business based on Internet or Mobile
- Have a business plan prepared for submission
To submit your project to send an executive summary firstname.lastname@example.org
The jury is composed of:
It certainly is a great opportunity and a good initiative that can help give your project or your business to qualified investors. Usually in this kind of meeting emerging very good business opportunities for entrepreneurs with viable projects and serious.
More information and registration in the Blog of the First Tuesday
Publishes Carlos Blanco (who certainly should thank someone who has been working on the First Tuesday even in the darkest years, and virtually no support), there are 200 people registered with the FT Madrid tonight devoted to online advertising.
Although I acknowledge that I usually give a tremendous lazy to go to these events, and that in the past 10 years I have not gone more than once or twice a FT (a few months ago in an event dedicated to music online, where he spoke Kiko Fuentes, director of content Yes.fm), not missing the appointment tonight. (and what tonight was invited to dinner at the Tennis Masters Madrid, I wanted to, but it will be another day ...)
I find some acertadísimos speakers, I think there will be many questions and opinions on everything very interesting.
For those who think these events will draw little thing, say that at least historically not my experience tells me that. In fact, the FT Madrid that I mentioned before devoted to digital music came out an operation of an acquisition interesting that we have implemented a few dates.
Congratulate the organizers because I think the topic of the moment, some large speakers which will be very interesting to hear, and it has been suggested so many people is a clear sign that I am not the only one who sees it that way.
If someone wants to come can sign up for free from the site of the event here
Alejandro Suarez's blog.