Alejandro Suarez Sanchez-Ocana. TIME-sector employer since 1998, CEO of Group Publispain and the network of blogs Entertainment Networks SL, President of Inversora Foley, director and Founding Partner of Yes.fm, adviser and investor in several companies for innovation, new technologies and the Internet.
More or less since December, and much to my regret, because we have a very broad portfolio I see that the market for domain names is clean, relaxing and self-regulating as the overall economic situation cools.
Does that mean that the domains will no longer be a good investment? I think not, if I understand what he means is that an investment will be much more selective.
We have approximately 1300 domains, many of them highly selected. Com,. Net,. Info or. Is 1 in the only word that "we have to do something." But also, over the years have been buying domains of 2 without being generic words. Com, or 1 single word but without much real meaning or not Premium domains in other TLDs such as. Tv. Mobi or. Pros and growing I think that some of them have not won the renovation.
Generally do not sell domains, they are like a collection of stickers on it from time to time sell some to invest in others. This month we offer auctioned after 2 domains, "dominio.tv" and "anuncios.pro", the latter currently on auction at Sedo here following a bid of $ 1500US.
Why do we have sold these domains, if the bids have not been so good from our point of view?. The explanation is varied, "dominio.tv" has a renovation cost of $ 500 and had no plans to do anything with, ie has cost us in the last 2 years $ 1000, there was no point in keeping it stopped. "Anuncios.pro" Nor had nothing planned, especially because even if I throw something sorted soon (I love the industry) for that, I prefer another domain that we have reserved "anuncio.net"
Investment in domains has changed a lot in this 2008, the routine of backorders in Spain in recent years, rarely appear. I do not remember when was the last time I sounded the alarm because there was a lack of motive for the closing minutes of an auction that interested me, I think that really we have been in the sector in recent years, we already have too many and just looking opportunities to improve the quality of our portfolio, and those opportunities have migrated to treatment through private or platforms for sale as Afternic or Sedo, but rarely at auction.
One of those rare cases auction is taking place right now. NameJet auction at the moment the domain "vida.com" in an auction Private? in which there are 209 bidders. 2 days left for the sale of the domain, which certainly has the look of it away in an American investor, and bids are already at $ 8100. The domain magnificent and I think there are things that could be done with ... but unfortunately not in our plans to make an immediate, so I do not think it makes sense to buy it eventually. Even so, we are discussing internally so intense.
The interview was pre-panel investment domains in which I had the pleasure of participating along with Carlos Blanco of the Group ItNet and Marcos Sainz of RioVentures who moderated by Javier Ruiz, of Domisfera
Tags: Alejandro Suarez, Carlos Blanco, Congress Forum domains, domains, Domisfera, Emilio Marquez, Domain Forum, Group ItNet, Inversora Foley, Javier Ruiz, Maria Ortegon, Active Networking, Rio Ventures
I start the week making friends Because last week seemed to be celebrating ¿? The landmark ¿? 1,000,000 domains. es
Carlos Blanco, from his blog wondered if we will reach 2,000,000. Emilio Marquez commented the act of holding the chairmanship of the minister who wanted and could not-be-mayor of Madrid, Miguel Sebastian.
Most would say it irritates me to see how the people of Red.es is dedicated to holding things petty, insignificant and devoid of value, rather than solving real problems, serious and disturbing the Country TLD Spanish.
Domains. Is working superbly well for the domestic market, very well in positioning, have on many occasions typeins very reasonable, and I was able to create brand and corporate image for a project or a portal with them. That's the positive.
However, I want to say loud and clear, that as Spanish, I am ashamed of how Red.es, and the surreal things that happen in this country TLD, which is mine. The people of Red.es takes 1-year, pressured by the ministry with the goal of reaching 1,000,000 domains. Com. I personally think that there is much more important objectives that may become the. TLD is in a serious and not the country TLD banana which are at present. Among the problems to be resolved lists:
- The ridiculous position of being unable to renew for over 1 year domains, and the response that "the end of the year that will be resolved," we have heard at least 2 years. That is not only inconvenient, also generates problems for the management of large portfolios, but Red.es gives you the same. We are not customers, they are sheep and the landowners.
- The absurdity of the system of transfer of domains by filling and sending DNI and pdfs that make us think we're in the Stone Age, while the rest of domains managers operate in a more rapid current, automatic and demonstrating that no loses any kind of security function well.
- The disgraceful system of conflict resolution, with cases as alarming lupa.es, sigla.es and others that generate public alarm, helplessness and concern among users and domainers. Panelists who come to be judge and party resolutions and simply ridiculous.
- A lack of intelligence Esnic managers, who give back to the secondary market, wanting to look the other way on the recognition that perhaps 200,000 or 250,000 domains are in the hands of professional domainers, will be their first collective "clients" Yes, we are customers and do not get into his head.
- The registrars, brokers indispensable to the smooth functioning of any domain, complain that almost have to "go to battery to enter EsNic hand payments in a single bank offices. Looks like we were 10 years ago.
- The embarrassment of public appearances to which I have been able to attend the responsibility of Red.es, Jesus Garcia Tello, who has participated in the papers most unfortunate that I have ever seen a public figure showing a worrying lack of information in the First Congress Forum Domains in 2007. In the second in Cornella in 2008, showing little waistline to come accompanied by the lawyer of Red.es to "remove the brown" of the legal questions above, in an unusual and even unfriendly at a public event at which the guest is presented with his lawyer to defend itself and respond to critical questions, claiming "no information" (how can ultimately responsible plead lack of information in an event on your sector?). Incidentally, I leave aside this burning in the poor lawyer, for being a "mandao", but the barrier of nerves before the incisive questions not only failed to be understood clearly, but came to use arguments uncertain, inaccurate and distorted as rightly made him see Carlos Blanco and another assistant in the event.
I had never attended a public ridicule like this. It would be good if Alberto Dominguez, of Dinamon, raise these videos to YouTube as it did with the first edition. I am sure that many people would like to see those.
For all these reasons, I, which currently have a portfolio of premium domains, that I'm an investor and I've come to pay up to € 50,000 for any domain. Com, do not appreciate in the same proportion. Is not invest in any If the purchase. is significant to the doubts and insecurity that I created the treatment of and attitude and not expand the Esnic% of this TLD, I insist that I like, within my portfolio of domains. If you ever change that, in the same way and I am pleased I will say this.
Esnic takes almost 3 years knowledge of these problems, not solve them. For them domainers, though need them and are not a valid interlocutor, neither exist, nor need for them any attention. And while celebrating the domain 1,000,000 ... mirándose the mirror and not recognizing that after 3 years is not progressing and this is a total disaster in which curiously do not see a moderately skilled head to put things in order.
Happy 1,000,000 domains. Arrive at the million and a half and possibly everything will be just as chaotic.
Many people have asked me why I have chosen a domain. Is for my blog. The reason is simple; for years I thought that it would not open a personal blog, so I never felt the need to record alejandrosuarez.com, which undoubtedly would have been the first option. 1 year ago, doubted for the first time and I wanted to do.
Www.alejandrosuarez.com the domain was already registered and looking at the whois saw that the name of a namesake, who apparently has an Insurance Agency in Venezuela. I contacted him and try to buy it, but it was not possible. I do not want to sell and did very well, I would have done the same. I guess that is the old fable of the hunter hunted.
At least with him. Is not the same thing happened to me, and if they checked in at the time. In fact alejandro.es also registered in the liberalization of domains. Is, but later dismissed his use, so I sold last December to receive an offer of 4,000 € for him.
Alejandro Suarez's blog.